Libertarian and Austrian Economist Ron Paul has backed the combination of cryptocurrencies and precious metals to bring back the Gold Standard. Paul, who ran for U.S. President in 1998, released a paper last month in which he argued that they can co-exist to prevent the current major market makers from “rigging the economy”.
In “The Dollar Dilemma: Where to From Here?”, he criticizes the current financial system and blames those who run the economy, including the ‘Deep State’ which, he says, controls central economic planning.
“Rigging the economy is required to prevent market forces from demanding a halt to the mistakes that planners continuously make. This deceptive policy can last only for a limited time. Ultimately, the market proves more powerful than government manipulation of economic events,” Paul said, in the paper.
Paul acknowledges that it will take a long time for cryptocurrencies to get accepted into the mainstream. He says that it will take a ‘significant amount of time to reach consensus’ but that the marketplace will adopt the right model once government indecision is out of the way.
He believes that “It’s conceivable that cryptocurrencies, using blockchain technology, and a gold standard could exist together, rather than posing an either-or choice. Different currencies may be used for certain transactions for efficiency reasons.”
Several cryptocurrencies already exist that are gold-backed. DigixDAO uses ERC20 tokens to provide proof that the user owns the gold. Each DGX token represents one gram of gold. Goldscape list at least 50 projects in various stages of development that aim to provide a token backed by gold.
Paul also argues that cryptocurrencies that are backed by gold will encourage faster adoption. As it will be more relatable to fiat, it will be more achievable to progress to this type of coin, instead of getting people to adapt to something completely dissimilar to what they are used to.
- Ron Paul: “Crypto can Bring Back Gold Standard” – July 4, 2018
- EU Report Blasts Economists Who Criticize Cryptocurrencies – July 3, 2018
- VeChain Launches Thor Blockchain. Token Swap Set for Mid-July – July 3, 2018
- Galaxy Digital Invests $20 Million in Blockchain Virtual Reality Platform – July 2, 2018
- DNAtix Pilot Blockchain Technology for Preventative Healthcare – June 28, 2018
- Regulatory Clarity Will Have a Snowball Effect on Institutional Investors – June 28, 2018
- New Platforms Open Up Smart Contracts to Non-Developers – June 28, 2018
- Hyperledger Executive Explores Real-World Uses of Blockchain – June 28, 2018
- Blockchain Tech set to “Overthrow” Current Banking System: ABM AMRO Exec – June 28, 2018
- Market Researcher Attacks SAFT and Discusses Securities Regulation – June 28, 2018
- Europol Validating Conference Speakers with Blockchain – June 28, 2018
- ING Ventures Leads $16 Million Investment in TradeIX – June 26, 2018
- Coinbase and Peter Thiel Invest in Next-Gen Stablecoin, Reserve – June 25, 2018
- Did This One Tweet Curtail John McAfee’s Crypto Career? – June 21, 2018
- Small Crypto Exchanges Likely to Fail: Chinese Research Institute – June 21, 2018
- ATM-Style Machines to Bring Blockchain to the Masses – June 21, 2018
- Lithuania Kicks Off Securitized Token Revolution – June 20, 2018
- Insights Aplenty as Coinbase & Ripple Execs Keynote London Blockchain Conference – June 14, 2018
- Ant Financial Raises $14 Billion to Become World’s Largest Unicorn – June 14, 2018
- Argo Blockchain: First Crypto Miner on the LSE – June 12, 2018
- Crypto Community Responds to Netflix’s Attacks on Bitcoin – June 11, 2018
- EOS Mainnet Launches. ‘Epic Vulnerabilities’ Solved by Bounty Hunters, Say Block Producers – June 9, 2018
- Obelisk Gives Crypto Community ASIC Tools to Take on Bitcoin Farms – June 8, 2018
- Dutch Bank Finds Blockchain ‘Inadequate’ for Financial Markets – June 7, 2018
- Does Juniper’s E-Commerce Forecast Herald Boom Time for Blockchain? – June 6, 2018
- Baidu’s Partnership with NXP Could Link its Super Chain to the IoT – June 6, 2018
- Ripple Launches $50 Million Blockchain Research Initiative – June 4, 2018
- Indian Telecoms Regulator Targets Cold-Calling with Major Blockchain Project – May 31, 2018
- China Set for Large-Scale Blockchain Applications by 2019 – May 31, 2018
- SoftBank Pairs with Cloudminds for Blockchain Authentication Solution – May 30, 2018
- DFINITY and CoinList Launch ‘Largest Airdrop in History’ – May 30, 2018
- Blockchain to Play ‘Major Role’ in Goods Industry: Deloitte Report – May 30, 2018
- UK’s Financial Watchdog Targets Crypto Businesses – May 29, 2018
- Overstock’s tZero Teams with BOX Digital for First Security Token Exchange – May 28, 2018
- Microsoft-Backed Insurwave Showcases Real-World Use – May 25, 2018
- Commerzbank Executes First Corporate FX Deal on Blockchain in Germany – May 24, 2018
- Ben & Jerry’s Backs Poseidon’s Climate Change Initiative – May 24, 2018
- Swachhcoin to Use Blockchain to Mitigate Waste Crisis, Airdrop Tomorrow – May 23, 2018
- Tezos Foundation Backs Blockchain Research by Inria and Tarides – May 23, 2018
- Tezos Expands with Two New R&D Partnerships – May 23, 2018